Passport Applications

Passport Application

To apply for a Canadian Passport, proof of identity for applicants age 16 and over must be provided. The identity documents must be issued by a federal or provincial/territorial government authority, or local equivalent abroad, and must include:​

  • name
  • date of birth
  • sex
  • photo
  • signature

One can submit one or more supporting ID documents to prove all of the above elements. Otherwise, if one element is missing, the application will be refused.

​When an individual applies for a new passport in an assumed relationship surname/ family name that is different from the name on his/her birth or citizenship certificate, that person must submit one of the following documents, along with their birth or citizenship certificate:

  • a marriage certificate
  • a common-law relationship certificate
  • a court order (i.e. separation agreement or divorce order/judgment) issued by a court of law in or outside Canada
  • a certificate to dissolve a registered common-law relationship
  • a resumption of surname certificate.

The identity document submitted together with the passport application, must display the relationship surname that the person is requesting.​

It is important to notify Passport Canada immediately should your passport be lost or stolen. There will be a for replacement of a passport.

Canadians Living Abroad

​Applicants for a Canadian passport living outside Canada have the option of choosing a guarantor who is:​

  • an adult with a valid or recently expired Canadian passport (less than a year)
  • a member of the approved list of occupations and persons below:​

The guarantor does not need to be a Canadian citizen, if they are in one of the following occupations:​

  • Medical doctor
  • Dean/head of university or college
  • Dentist
  • Judge
  • Lawyer/notary
  • Notary public
  • Pharmacist
  • Police officer
  • Signing officer of a bank or trust company or of a financial institution that offers a full range of banking services (cash withdrawals, deposits, savings)
  • Veterinarian

Passport Refusals

​In the event that you have been refused issue of a passport, your passport is revoked and/or you have been refused passport services, you may appeal and seek judicial review of the decision in Federal Court.

Need Help?​

Contact us for more information about the Passport process or for assistance in preparing an application.

Looking for Visit VisaImmigrateSponsor ShipStudent VisaLegal Help Consulting?

    Etiam magna arcu, ullamcorper ut pulvinar et, ornare sit amet ligula. Aliquam vitae bibendum lorem. Cras id dui lectus. Pellentesque nec felis tristique urna lacinia sollicitudin ac ac ex. Maecenas mattis faucibus condimentum. Curabitur imperdiet felis at est posuere bibendum. Sed quis nulla tellus.


    63739 street lorem ipsum City, Country


    +12 (0) 345 678 9


    [email protected]